Oat bran v. Oatmeal
I ran out of oats a while back but did not fret because I still had an entire box of oat bran. It used to be that I only had oat bran every once in a while but mostly preferred oats. I think that may have changed
Here are some facts about oat bran, you may or may not already know:
- Oat bran has more fiber and protein than regular oats.
- Much like oatmeal, eating oat bran regularly can help reduce your LDL cholesterol.
- Oat bran cooks quicker, needing only 1 minute on the stove (after boiling) and 1.5 minutes in the microwave.
- Also like oats, oat bran is very inexpensive…I get the Kroger brand box for $1.30 or so (sometimes less when it is on sale) and it lasts me a while. The Mother’s bran is also good if you can catch in on sale.
These past few days, I have had oat bran for breakfast and there are some things I have realized about it that I have not before.
- I prefer the creaminess of oat bran, even though I’m also a big fan of “chewy” oatmeal.
- Since I was out of milk, I cooked the oat bran with just water and prefer that too!
- I’m also running out of toppings but his again made me realize that sometimes it is good to just keep things simple.
The evolution of my oat bran…
Topped with banana, peanut butter and walnuts.
Banana, PB and chocolate chips (1/2 tbsp).
And then this morning, I didn’t take a picture of it because I was that hungry when I woke up, but it was just oat bran topped with a sliced and chopped pear and PB. Loved it!
I find that the way my oat bran has turned out, although originally motivated by budget (and wanting to use stuff up), has actually helped me be more intuitive and just eat what I want and not more than that.
I don’t always have to have nuts or other toppings. I need to eat what I m craving and what will satisfy me that particular day. Sometimes that may just be oat bran with a spoon of PB. And that is perfectly okay
I think I want to make it a goal of mine to have some more variety in my oat bran. A couple of years ago, I must have tried every combination of oatmeal I could think of, trying different fruits, nuts, toppings, etc. One of my favorites used to be raisins and chocolate chips and now it has been forever since I’ve had that. So I’m hoping to try that one soon, plus many others.
I also want to try overnight oat bran soon!
Hope you all are enjoying the long weekend, I can’t believe it’s almost over! Luckily, I took another day off to spend with some family that is visiting so I have one more day before it’s back to work.