Pre-Christmas workout plan
Sorry I haven’t been blogging my food recently. I still plan to, but I have so much other (positive) stuff on my mind right now that I can’t seem to focus, ha ha. Currently, I am pondering my Pre-Christmas workout plan, since I already have the use of any YMCA facility set up for the week after Christmas, thanks to my employer 🙂
Okay, so most of you have noticed by now that I exercise during the work day because I have use of a few gyms here at work, plus classes, etc. I work 15 miles (30 round trip) away from home and most of the time I either take the bus or car pool with my mom because I am cheap and want to save gas (I started doing this when it went over $3, even though it’s around $1.59 here now, I haven’t stopped). But, I will be off work starting this Saturday (two days, gasp!) and my YMCA benefit doesn’t kick in until Friday, December 26th. So I have almost a whole week I need to take care of in between.
Barring any severe winter weather or sub-zero temperatures, I do hope to take a bunch of walks and runs outside during this time, especially with the dog, she loves taking a long walk/jog and then sleeping the rest of the day 😉
But I also want to keep up with strength training too. Luckily, there are many moves I can do that don’t require a gym or even weights for that matter (pushups, dips, squats, lunges, crunches, etc.) and I do have a set of 5 lb weights and a resistance band, should I choose to use those. I would also like to do some yoga over the break because I love how flexible, toned and stress-free it makes me feel 🙂
I have not come up with a specific plan just yet, but I do know that when I have a plan written out, it does help me stay on task. Sort of like having a to-do list! For right now, here are a few guidelines I will be using:
- If it’s warmer than 32 degrees (and not snowing, raining or icing) I will walk and/or run outside for at least 30 minutes (in addition to regular dog walking).
- If it is too cold or precipitous, I will do an indoor activity, such as a workout DVD or perhaps driving to the mall to do some indoor walking (with no shopping until cardio time completed, haha).
- In the one week period, I will get in at least 3 sessions of strength training for each major muscle group (upper body, core, lower body) by utilizing equipment at home or moves using body weight.
- I will stretch after every work out to keep my muscles from getting tight or sore.
- I will incorporate some yoga at least once during the week.
- I will play volleyball on Tuesday night 🙂
- I will listen to my body and if I feel like I need a day off, I will take it.
Sounds like I’ll manage! What are your plans for working out over the holidays?
Happy Thursday! The weekend is almost here 😉