Sparkpeople 20-minute Dumbbell Workout
Yesterday, my workout plan called for running 1 mile and then completing some form of weight training.
Since I am a big fan of weight training, I know plenty of moves I can do but I have found it helpful to have a “program” to follow to make sure I cover all my bases and get the most out of my precious workout time.
This time, I decided to use the Sparkpeople 20-minute Dumbbell Workout which I printed off my computer before heading to the gym. I warmed up and ran 1 mile on the treadmill (easy in 12:00) and then got to work!
There were many things I liked about this routine, especially the time frame because it fit in perfectly with how much time I had left to work out. But there were some drawbacks as well.
The following is just my personal opinion:
- Time efficient
- Hit every muscle group (chest, biceps, triceps, back, shoulders, legs, abs)
- Included ab work (seated torso twist rocked!)
- Stretching included
Not-so-good (and solutions)
- I didn’t use enough weight (7.5 lbs, use more next time)
- Crunches not challenging enough (add more reps)
- The double leg lifts hurt my hip (try on bench instead of floor or switch to single leg)
- Back extensions are really hard to do on floor (use balance ball)
Do you weight train? Follow a detailed program? What do you like or dislike about it?
I would definitely use this one again but make the modifications I mentioned above. I could also see myself doing a longer version of this with more than one set of the exercises.