“Soyrizo” with brown rice and veggies
I can’t believe I actually have a food post to share with you guys. It’s a rarity these days, I know. I have just been waiting to be inspired. I’m glad it happened!
Truthfully, this recipe isn’t anything spectacular on the surface. Just a few ingredients I threw together that ended up tasting great. And it’s good for those of us who like to save money on meals
“Soyrizo” with brown rice & veggies (about 3-4 servings)
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo (aka vegan spicy faux sausage) – $1.99 by the way!
- Organic brown rice (I cooked 1 cup + 2 cups water in my steamer/rice cooker, not sure how much that came out to)
- 1 package of Steamfresh garlic baby peas & mushrooms – $1.49
- Steam rice first since that takes a good 45-50 minutes (but is so worth it to me)
- Remove soy chorizo from casing (you have to squeeze it out) and begin heating in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat
- Cook peas & mushrooms in the microwave per the bag’s directions
- Add cooked peas & mushrooms to chorizo on the stove and mix together well until everything seems to be cooked enough
- Place a scoop of brown rice in your bowl, then add a couple scoops of chorizo-veggie mixture and stir
It’s also not the most attractive thing but it’s tasty (spicy!), cheap and filling! I can’t put a price on the brown rice really since I just used a cup dry and I buy a huge bag that lasts me forever. But based on the other two ingredients, I’m guessing this meal would only cost $1-2/per serving.
It could easily feed you and a couple of friends or you and your kids or just you for 3 meals like me
I used cereal bowls but they were piled pretty high! The above picture was taken about 2/3 of the way through lunch today, when I had the bright idea to blog about this new “recipe” of mine.
- My first visit to Trader Joe’s (seesaraheat.wordpress.com)