I can’t believe I actually have a food post to share with you guys. It’s a rarity these days, I know. I have just been waiting to be inspired. I’m glad it happened!
Truthfully, this recipe isn’t anything spectacular on the surface. Just a few ingredients I threw together that ended up tasting great. And it’s good for those of us who like to save money on meals🙂
“Soyrizo” with brown rice & veggies (about 3-4 servings)
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo (aka vegan spicy faux sausage) – $1.99 by the way!
- Organic brown rice (I cooked 1 cup + 2 cups water in my steamer/rice cooker, not sure how much that came out to)
- 1 package of Steamfresh garlic baby peas & mushrooms – $1.49
- Steam rice first since that takes a good 45-50 minutes (but is so worth it to me)
- Remove soy chorizo from casing (you have to squeeze it out) and begin heating in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat
- Cook peas & mushrooms in the microwave per the bag’s directions
- Add cooked peas & mushrooms to chorizo on the stove and mix together well until everything seems to be cooked enough
- Place a scoop of brown rice in your bowl, then add a couple scoops of chorizo-veggie mixture and stir🙂
It’s also not the most attractive thing but it’s tasty (spicy!), cheap and filling! I can’t put a price on the brown rice really since I just used a cup dry and I buy a huge bag that lasts me forever. But based on the other two ingredients, I’m guessing this meal would only cost $1-2/per serving.
It could easily feed you and a couple of friends or you and your kids or just you for 3 meals like me🙂
I used cereal bowls but they were piled pretty high! The above picture was taken about 2/3 of the way through lunch today, when I had the bright idea to blog about this new “recipe” of mine.
- My first visit to Trader Joe’s (seesaraheat.wordpress.com)
I’m so glad you guys enjoyed my review of Food, Inc. I can’t stress enough that you should see the movie yourselves and also just get out there and research more about food and where it comes from. This is stuff we need to know.
For breakfast this morning, I made oats but didn’t feel like pumpkin or banana so I just threw on some raisins, peanut butter…and chocolate chips!
It was great🙂
Mid-morning I snacked on an apple and peanut butter.
For lunch, I tried a frozen meal from Amy’s Kitchen. I was feeling like Indian food today.
This dish tasted really good, my only complaint would be the size.
I should’ve paired it with a salad or extra veggies. It was a decent meal though and it lasted me a couple of hours.
Later, I had some peanut butter…
And carrots + hummus:
Finally, I felt satisfied and I went for a 3 mile run around campus then did some ab work. On the way home I snacked on some mixed nuts to hold me over for dinner.
When I got home, I went for a 3 mile walk with another friend. My legs feel good and it was fun but I am tired!
Luckily while I was out for my walk, I was able to cook up a batch of brown rice in my steamer/rice cooker. I totally forgot the steamer has that function too.
When I got back from my walk, I sautéed some vegetables on the stove.
I sprinkled the veggies with chili powder and hot sauce. Then I threw half the batch on a cup of brown rice and chowed down.
I threw on some more hot sauce once I mixed it all up. I like the flava.
Now I’m relaxing on the couch, catching up with blog reading and Facebook. I think here in a bit I will have some toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips, as if I haven’t had enough peanut butter today!
Josh even pokes fun at my nighttime snack now, it has become such a routine.
What about you? Do you have a favorite go to night time snack?