Hello again! Not only am I shocked that I have blogged a record SIX times these past couple of weeks but that I am here again to share another food post with you. I had become so distanced from these type of posts that I was seriously considering a name change of this blog! Oh well, for now, let’s talk about what I made for dinner last night🙂
I had a bunch of random ingredients at home that I wanted to use up, plus I was making enchiladas for some friends of ours who just had a baby, so I bought some tortillas and a few other ingredients that I was missing.
I based my enchiladas on this recipe from Allrecipes.com. I find it to be a great site because the recipes are simple and easy to adapt to whatever ingredients you have on hand or whatever your dietary preferences are. I made enough adjustments and substitutions that I feel like I can safely post my version of the recipe here.
Chickpea veggie enchiladas (makes 8-10 enchiladas)
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice (got to use my steamer again!)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Pace picante sauce (I used medium)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (you may not want to use this much, this was an accident, I opened the wrong end of the container! But it wasn’t too hot for me)
- 1 small jar of salsa
- Daiya shredded cheddar-style non-dairy cheese
- Ground cilantro
- A package or two of soft taco style whole wheat tortillas
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat (use a few cloves of garlic too if you’d like, I couldn’t get my jar open!) until soft, then add chickpeas, tomatoes, picante sauce and spices. Reduce heat, simmer and stir until thickened. Add rice and let cook a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm tortillas on the stove or microwave (I warmed 5 at a time between 2 paper towels for 30 seconds)
- Spray a 9×13 (or whatever size you want to use) pan with cooking spray.
- Add a couple spoonfuls of chickpea-rice-veggie mixture into each tortilla and roll.
- Place wrapped tortilla seam side down in the dish.
- Once you place however many fit in your pan (6 fit in my 9×13 pan and I had some leftover filling so I could have made maybe 4 more) pour salsa on top and sprinkle Daiya cheese and ground cilantro on top as desired.
Here’s what it looked like before going into the oven!
I should have taken an “after” picture but I’m so out of the “food blogging” mentality that I honestly am surprised I took the one above. However, trust me when I say that these were delicious! Especially when topped with Tofutti non-dairy sour cream🙂